Countdown to Leukodystrophies Awareness Month

Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers

ALD/AMN Warriors

Monday, February 28, 2011

The Halverson Boys three brothers with ALD

I am the mother of three amazings boys.My children have opened my eyes to all the little miracles and inspirations around me , that I often fail to see.Dylan, Jacob and Owen you three are truly AMAZING ♥ I have also been blessed to be married to my sweetheart of 17 years ! This journey hasnt been without moehills or mountains - it is the inspiration around me that keeps me going. I have learned so much

In April 2006 we found out that our son Owen was in urgent need of a bone marrow transplant . The doctors told us that Owen had six months to live. Right away we started searching for a donor. We found out that all three boys have the same exact HLA type , but could not use each others marrow because they all have ALD. In June we received the phone call that they found a double cord blood for Owen and it was a 4 out of 6 six match.
The experts told us we would go to The University of Minnesota Medical Center for Children. In July we headed west , we stopped and visited our family in Missouri . This was very hard because we decided it would be best to leave Dylan and Jacob here with my sister Sandy and her family. My parents and sister Charlotte also live close to Sandy , so there would be lots of family caring for Dylan and Jacob. We arrive in Minnesota on July 17 , and on Aug. 4 2006 Owen had his double cord blood transplant. My parents brought Dylan and Jacob to Minnesota so we could all be together for Owen. While Dylan and Jacob were in town the doctors wanted to have their MRI'S done . We soon found out that Dylan would need a transplant .
We were living a nightmare . On Oct. 4 2006 , just two months after Owens transplant Dylan receive a 6 out of 6 match bone marrow transplant. All three of my sons have Adrenoleukodystrophy (ALD). So far Jacob's MRI'S have been coming back clean , but it is a constant worry on all of our minds.
I feel as if it's a time bomb and not know if or when it may go off. It has been four years since our journey began . Owen is in third grade . Dylan is in 10th grade . Jacob is in eighth grade I am SO very Proud of my boys.

No comments:

GET SOME GEAR !!

Put a Little LoVe in your heart!!

Total Pageviews